Friday, June 18, 2010

Kingdom of Comfort

There is a song by the band, Delirious, called "Kingdom of Comfort", and he goes on to say "where I am king". I just keep thinking about that line and asking myself, am I trying to create for myself a kingdom of comfort where I am king? To be completely honest with myself, the answer is yes. Not always, but I'm thinking that even a little is too much. For me anyway.

My favorite way to "comfort" myself is a little online window shopping. It's all about the shoes and the clothes. I'll go to my favorite store and open a bunch of tabs and then look longingly at each one. Then I will slowly close each tab, and not feel any better. There have been times when I have actually bought something, and that feels pretty good, for a little while. Really, there's only so much a pair of shoes and jeans can do for me. Then I'm just looking for the next thing.

So maybe I have "comforted" myself temporarily, but I usually end up feeling worse. Then I have to deal with all that time I wasted, and the discontent that goes along with all of that. One definition of comfort is, "absence of pain and the consequent quiet". That's what I get, but it's just all so superficial. I'm not saying that clothes and shoes are bad, it's really good to have things I like to wear, there just needs to be a balance.

It gets out of balance when I try to be the king. I already have a King, my King Jesus, and He is the One that belongs on the throne of my heart. He is the One who is my Comforter. His kind of comfort is totally different because it meets my every need. He reaches down to touch those places in my heart that are hurting, when I feel hopeless and afraid, when I am overwhelmed with life, and He calms the storm in me. He calls me near and holds me close with His everlasting arms. What a wonderful, precious, forgiving, kind and patient King He is. Why do I ever look elsewhere?

My King Jesus deserves ALL of my devotion. Not just some time in the morning, but all throughout my day. That doesn't mean I need to be reading my Bible every minute, but it does mean that I need to be fixing the eyes of my heart on Him every moment. I want so very much to be completely His. I know He wants that, too.

Today I will be thinking much about Psalm 119:33-40.

Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness.
Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way.
Establish Your word to Your servant, Who is devoted to fearing You.
Turn away my reproach which I dread, for Your judgments are good.
Behold, I long for Your precepts; Revive me in Your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment